site stats Nanobound
Investment Portfolio

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Discovering Nanotechnology

Thesis: How I finally had the epiphany that drew me to nanotechnology.

A Vague Notion

If you're a friend and reading this, you're probably wondering, how the hell did Clayton become enamored with nanotechnology?--I thought he would make his mark driving some giant multi-national corporation into the ground, not betting on some seemingly crazy tech-pyramid-scheme.

For years my father had been whispering nanotech in my ear. His alma mater, Rice, was the first university in the world to build a center dedicated to the science of nanotechnology and the first institution to boast a Nobel Prize winning professor in nanotechnology (Richard Smalley). I had it in the back of my mind and had always taken an arm-chair interest in physics. At school, I studied the science of consciousness with an emphasis on computer science. I later joined the Lehman Brothers Technology group with the intention that I would one day go into venture capital. The question was, what kind of technology should I focus on?

What's Hot and What's Not?

My expertise was in computer science related fields, but early in my stint at Lehman Brothers a deal occurred that made waves in the tech community and caused me to rethink my plans. In the fall of 2004, IBM divested its entire PC business to China. Yes, IBM, the inventor of the PC and a 200 billion dollar company, does not sell PCs. It occurred to me that the information game may be yesterday's news. The industry was evidently poised for offshoring, consolidation and, as a result, rapidly maturing.

I began researching where early stage venture capital firms were putting their money and what nascent science the government was most dedicated to funding. I quickly learned that nanotech had developed more than a cult following during my four years in college.

Believe it or not, nanotech is red hot in the niche realm of technology growth funding. Scores of companies with "nano" in their title that have more than $20 million in funding from the most esteemed venture capital firms. Also, your senator is likely well aware of a nanotechnology public funding craze and probably has his staff working hard to secure a piece of the pie to open a nanotech research center in their district. Dozens of universities across the country, from MIT, to UT, to Stanford, have initiated well funded nanotechnology research programs. Even certain states, such as New York, have committed hundreds of millions of dollars to have a shot at putting the next Silicon Valley within their borders. What does this mean?--the human and financial capital necessary for a nanotech boom is quietly moving into place.

Since I discovered this small, but very active world, I have obsessively read investor newsletters, industry reports, and books on the topic, as well as monitored the daily news and the blogs of experts. In today's information-saturated age, anticipation is critical to success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home